Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Drawing A Day: Day 4

Today I tried my hand at something a little more methodical and technical. I went and decided to sketch a feature bookshelf at my girlfriend's place. The bookshelf has a really awesome structure that looks really simple, but when you actually try to draw it, it's any but simple.

The intersecting lines and multi-levelled form makes for a very hard thing to sketch, especially if you decide to do it in two-point-perspective, as I did. The repeating pattern can actually make things more difficult when you do the drawing in two-point, as the front-most parts can overlap in ways you don't expect. I actually had three previous goes at the sketch, but it resulted in a big ol' mish mash of lines. I found the best way to do this sketch was to draw the lines in the foreground, and then work everything out from those lines.

The bookcase itself is a lot of fun to look at, and I enjoyed the challenge of sketching it!

No comments:

Post a Comment