Wednesday, July 25, 2012

DSDN 104: Precedent Images

So now that I've finally figured out my final words, I've been able to look at some precedent images. Looking at things that make me think of Sinuous Fluid Motion has also really helped to solidify the kind of models that I want to create. I need to convey motion through a sense of direction in my models, and convey sinuous and fluid through curves and the way the curves appear to "move" through space. 



This image was an obvious candidate due to the very name of the image and what it portrays. It's a high speed shot of a small wave, and one can really see the whiplash curve coming through in the shape and the crash of the wave. Despite the violence inherent in the collapsing wave, the shape is still beautiful and displays a sinuous motion and obvious direction.




Wave Ripples On An Eroding Beach, Zoltan Silvester, http://hinderedsettling.com/

This image shows the shapes caused by fluid motion. The waves rolling forwards and backwards across the sand caused this series of shapes in the sand. I like the fact that the curves aren't perfect, sometimes having straight parts, and sometimes curving quickly. I want to convey this in my model too. 





I love this sculpture. It's been designed on a computer before being cast in bronze. I love the way one loop curves through the other before coming back to the origin. The way the curves just flow through the space, implying a certain shape, but not actually forming anything in particular. It's abstract. I love it. 



I really like how simple this is, yet the lattice shape really allows to show the flow of the curve. It feels more real, more touchable due to the extra added depth to the curve.

All of these are really cool, and really really useful...


No comments:

Post a Comment