Thursday, March 20, 2014

INDN 341: Rope Completion

After many trials and tribulations, I've reached a point that I think I can be proud of. The rope both looks and feels fantastic. When you stretch it, it has a slight bit of give to it, as if it were slightly springy. This is probably due to the fact that the PVA is a bit stretchy, and that the wool fibres have been compressed.
I've been trying to test the rope this afternoon, and as far as I can tell, it's really, really strong. I haven't gone to a tug of war with my flatmates over it yet, but I might do that if I can figure out how strong it is.

The brass wire looks really good too. I used it to secure the loops I made in the rope, as the needed some sort of fixing since knotting the full rope would be a bit unwieldy and yield a very thick result, and it also wouldn't look as cool as possible.

For the presentation, I was recommended to hang a small Japanese wrestler from the rope (this was somehow extremely funny at the time. But it's most likely just going to be a chair, as this should show my point enough. The rope has actually gotten softer over the time I've worked it, so it's turned out really nicely.

This isn't a noose, it's just a loop that is replicated on the other end of the rope so I can hang stuff from it. All going well, I should have a photo of the suspended chair for y'all this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment