Friday, March 7, 2014

MDDN 314: What Is A Soundwalk?

I've started a new course at university called Audio-Visual Space, and the first project we have to accomplish involves creating what's known as a soundwalk. This soundwalk is a rather unique concept to me. I've always considered myself to be a very sense-driven person. I love experiencing the sounds, textures, sights and odours that the city has to offer. Wellington is quite a good city for this as it has a variety of all of these things. I enjoy sensing the city in this way.

The soundwalk is meant to be an experiential journey through a space or series of spaces, with a large emphasis on the sound of the spaces. The victim is instructed to pay close attention to the sounds in the spaces, or the lack thereof. The spaces vary from indoors to outdoors, from populated to barren, and the user is encouraged to explore and isolate the various layers of sound with their mind.


SOUNDWALK from Andrés salas on Vimeo.

Andrés Salas has a very interesting, informative video on the subject, part of which we watched in class. I really enjoyed the use of video in combination with strange and ambient sounds to drive his point. Super cool! We have to design our own soundwalk for this first project, which should be quite interesting to do and experiment with.

No comments:

Post a Comment