Thursday, July 25, 2013

INDN 212: Refined Inspiration

So, since I've now got a much better idea of what I want to actually do for this lighting project, I decided it was high time for a bit of re-inspiring. The way I want to make my light feel is critical to its success. I want my light to be a space divider, in essence. I want it to both physically and metaphorically divide the space between a work space and a social/play space. Physically, I want the effect of the lighting to be different in the two different spaces, and metaphorically, I want the form of the wall light to imply a different purpose of the two areas.

One area should be a work space, simple. The feel I want to achieve with the form is of something that suggests simplicity and cleanliness, as well as structure and logic. The forms that I'me drawing on for inspiration here are futuristic ones, which to me suggest a certain foresight as well as a consideration towards use of the space.

The other half of the light should juxtapose, but not in a completely contrasting way. Rather, it should be cut from the same stone, stemming from a similar set of ideals, but manipulating them to create a much better sense of freedom and fun. The ways in which this could be achieved are nigh endless, and as such, I need to be sure to keep the design considered. Without a unifying aesthetic, the light could just look like it was stuck together from two different halves.

Image acquired from: http://www.spacefurniture.com.au/fields-wall-lamp.html

This light has significant suggestions of ambience, as well as providing an evening mood to it. The vibrant oranges hark back to seventies architectural illustrations, while the muted, soft lighting feels much more modern. The feature of this light that I find particularly compelling is the way the light from the foremost lights reflects off the shield of the back lights, illuminating them strongly and bringing out more vibrant colours. This aesthetic I think has a lot of potential, but tying this in with a more serious work light might be a bit of a stretch.

Image acquired from: http://www.houzz.com/photos/153346/Yet-Wall-Lamp-modern-wall-sconces-atlanta

These illuminated bookshelf-type lights from Houzz feel akin to dendrites in the body. Apparently you can put many together to make an interconnected web of lit bookshelves. This idea is actually really cool, and the aesthetic is really nice. The lights feel almost slightly organic, while also maintaining a grip onto what lights it and how it works. The idea I want to take from this is the usefulness of the light as itself. Perhaps shelving would be something I could work into my light. I think though that maybe I'm getting carried away a bit.

Image acquired from: http://www.allmodern.com/View-All-Nemo-Italianaluce-C113308.html?redir_sku=NOM1068

This light has a wonderful aesthetic, with a simple, very polished aesthetic. So far I really haven't seen anything like what I'm trying to do, which is interesting. I thought space dividing lights would be an interesting field that many people would actually make use of, but maybe I guess not. One thing that's striking me as being a potentially very good aesthetic for the "play" side of the light is the reflecting the light off the wall aesthetic. This really allows the light to illuminate a large space with a very ambient light, but really is no good for a task light.

Image acquired from: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2013/02/ledberg-wall-lamp-for-stairway.html

This light, designed by a member of the "IKEA Hackers" community, is created from an MDF box with some LED strip lighting, as well as an aluminium profile, and the actual effect of it is astoundingly good. Simple, effective, and easy to make. Looking at this form gave me the idea that I could potentially use laser cutting to achieve the look I want. Laser cutting allows for a high degree of specificity, as well as making complex shapes very easy to do.

Image acquired from: http://www.olighting.com/fontana-arte-raso-wall-lamp.html

This light provides good task lighting, but sadly isn't quite directed in the right direction to make it so. The simplicity of this lighting design makes it effective, but it feels like it's lacking a lot of character. I think the light that I want to design will make for a very interesting feature in a home, as well as being a very useful tool. 

Now, I really need to refine that design.

No comments:

Post a Comment