Friday, April 11, 2014

INDN 311: Physical Processes, Techniques & Motorised Output

After exploring various shapes in my sketches, I decided to pursue a particular form in my modelling. For the presentation I plan on having two models, one that shows shape, size and fit. The second model will be a form that doesn't really represent the shape, but rather the function of the vibrating of the water.

This is the current state of the design. An oblong block that has a front slot for the phone, a central hole for the glass canister, and then a slot near the front end on the top for the device to be used as a stand for the phone. This part of the design is a part that I'll be 3D printing, just to show the shape and form.

To prove the concept of the water vibrations being something beautiful that can manipulate the light passing from the screen of the phone towards the ceiling. To do this, I constructed a small frame for holding a small vacuum formed piece of plastic that would hold the water. To this plastic form I then glued a small motor to the back. I then attached a small circular piece of acrylic that had the hole for the motors shaft slightly offset. By doing this, the motor will generate excess vibrations that will transfer through the plastic into the water, where the vibrations will become visible due to the nature of the medium.

I experimented with different sizes of attachment to the motor. By playing around with various sizes, I was able to get a variety of different ripple points. I eventually settled on the smallest ones, as I really didn't want water splashing everywhere and getting all over the presentations. The ripples that it generated were the ones above. I really like these because they weren't enough to actually get the water moving, just truly vibrating. It's really nice as you could really see these lovely standing waves that moved slowly over the water as the speed fluctuated a bit.

I added a bit of ink to the mix so as to make the ripples more visible. It kind of worked. For the presentation, I want to show this functioning to the point where it creates a visible difference to the transmitted light from below.

No comments:

Post a Comment