Wednesday, May 16, 2012

DSDN 144 Project 3: Proposal

For the last project in Photographics, I want to try and merge the digital world of video games and CGI with the real world and see how that could be integrated. One of the things that I'm very keen on experimenting this with is light painting. I want to find a way of getting much better at using this technique effectively and to convey the ideas that I'd trying to portray. One of my inspirations for this is the idea of augmented reality, overlaying the real world with a CGI that aids us or adds things that couldn't be there. This also stems from films like Tron and Iron Man, and how that kind of effect of a virtual environment could possibly be overlaid in the real world to give us a new sense of the spaces we are in, or for mapping or cataloguing purposes.

The way I plan to make these images is to use a flash-bulb exposure, where by using the bulb setting on my camera, I can expose the image for as long as I like. Then, by using a camera flash or external lighting, I want to show the actual world that exists, and then when everything goes dark again, paint what I want over the top of this world, generating the special effects that I want to show. Ideally for the flash part of the image, I want to capture the space as naturally as possible, so I will try to use electric light rather than the flash. I still want everything to look real, and not flat, as flash has a tendency to do.
To make sure that the light looks as natural as possible, I want to use a rather small aperture, which would then allow all of the space to be in focus.
The spaces I really want to use are the spaces I live in, and I want to show how they could possibly be enhanced using virtual realities.

I chose this idea because of a fascination with the virtual world, and how it could potentially be integrated into our society. I'm extremely enthused by the idea of the future, and I love future technology. This idea of overlaying the real world with a digital aspect stems from the ideas of holograms used as data displaying methods, as well as the Google Glasses prototypes, and how that could integrate with everyday life.
What I want to highlight in my images is how the digital environment really isn't a bad thing, and that, if done well, could become a very important tool in our everyday life.

I want to capture this concept via a series of images, showing different aspects of my life enhanced with digital technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment