Wednesday, May 23, 2012

DSDN 144 Project 3: Choices From Second Shoot

I found a new aesthetic I want to test for this third project, and I think I've finally nailed the idea. For this shoot I was really trying to test the aesthetic and understand the electrical plans of the building. Surprisingly, there are actually a huge amount of cables in the walls, floor and ceilings, so I have a feeling to not overdo it, I would do different sections at any one time, a concept that I tried to experiment with here.



Here I experimented with doing the light painting with no flash-light exposure to capture the actual surroundings. It was here that I began to realise that there are a hell of a lot of wires, and that the lighting itself illuminated the scene when there was enough around. 


A little bit of a rogue light going on here at the bottom middle of the shot. The aesthetic achieved in darkness is more interesting, and kind of portrays the space as almost non-existent, flipping the standard world on its head. Usually we see the space but not the electrical cables. Now we see an abstraction of the electrical cables and not the space.


Here I experimented with the aesthetic of taking shoots that had a flash-bulb exposure. I exposed the image for a few seconds with the lights turned on, then flicked the lights off and painted my electrical cables in the darkness. The overall image than creates this aesthetic.



Here I had a look at the floor around my room, and according to the plans, there are a lot of deviances from the main central cable. One thing I really need to think about doing is using a big ruler to do all the straight lines, because for this aesthetic to look good, I really need to make sure it looks really crisp.


Here I made a number of mistakes with regards to the continuity of all the lines. I also chose too many lines to do for this image. I need to think about marking out all the lines with masking tape before actually painting them. This would save any doubling up of the lines and also keep my lines very consistent between images. Overall however, I think the bright lines in darkness is a more effective aesthetic.


For this image, the overall composition of the space could have been much better, so in that respect it is lacking. I tried to split some of the available cables across two images here, just so I get the idea of seeing if fewer lights looked better. The aesthetic of the flash-bulb exposure is not as effective as the straight darkness, so for the next shoot that's what I'll be looking at in more detail.



Another thing I want to try is seeing what the images could look like using different coloured lights to highlight different types of electrical cables. I could use one colour for the electrical lighting, one for socket power, and one for miscellaneous power appliances.

No comments:

Post a Comment