Thursday, April 18, 2013

INDN 252: Let's See How Far We've Come

Now that I've designed the model and done a preliminary print on the Up! printers, I decided to move into a more expensive and more detailed print, with just the basics of the joint as the printed elements, so as to keep costs down for myself.

As you can see, the joint element printed beautifully and retained all of the detail that I built into the Solidworks model, which I don't think I'll ever quite get over. Just the fact that there's no input from me between where I put the file into the printing folder to me getting it back, and yet it's exactly what I wanted. This resin is more of a pale, clear, yellow colour (which isn't quite captured in the photo), but it's still quite nice.

I definitely want to get my final model printed in the white, more opaque resin, but this is certainly a good starting point for my moving joint. The motion is perfect. Exactly what I designed, and exactly what I got. The outer support material was a a bit of a bitch to clean off, especially in the little gaps between the moving parts, but that's okay. I got there in the end.

One thing however that needs definite changing is the size on my knee-cap element. It gets stuck between the overarching curve elements, and needs to be shrunk down a little bit. But other than that, looking good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment