Wednesday, October 3, 2012

DSDN 104: Enhancing Final Hexagons

So, for my final model, I'm seeking to enhance one of the hexagonal models that I've already done. The way in which I want to enhance this puppy is by re-applying itself as an overlay onto itself. So I'm continuing on with the idea of the many making up the large.

So, first I started out with the concept of the hexagons interlacing the stacked hexagon model I had before. I created a hexagonal grid with hexagons extruded the same height as the model I had prior. Then, after creating the grid, I intersected the hexagons with the hexagons (oh the meta-ness!) and created a form.

Because things are never as easy as they could be, the structure that I had intersecting resulted in me then having to delete all the excess around the outer edges of the model, so that there were no extra lines leaving the model. 3-D printers are finicky and won't print anything that has open faces or edge problems.

Slowly I worked away at the form, peeling and deleting away all the excess shapes and layers. It was a very slow and arduous process. The overall hexagons however were slowly becoming visible due to the imposed lines of the main hexagon frame, which run the full height of the model. The model feels insanely complex, and hopefully it will work in the end for 3-D printing.

Now the form becomes visible. Stripping back all the excess, there is now something that stands as an interesting shape with intriguing form. The hexagon grid cut in a myriad of different ways suggests form, it implies how the shapes will look.

I tried bringing the model then into 3dsMax once it was completed. The model looks really good and definitely conveys the idea of the many making the compound which I want to carry across in this set of models, which is ultimately embodied by this model.

This screen capture from Max shows all the errors inherent in the model, so obviously it's a pretty tricky fix. Everything that is red shows some sort of error, so there are a lot. But I took the screen capture because I thought it was actually rather pretty. The rhythm and structure of the shapes makes for a really intriguing image.

No comments:

Post a Comment