Thursday, October 11, 2012

DSDN 104: Figuring Out Composition

So, now that I've started to work on my final render, which will be the basis for my photography, as the model can still be manipulated to suit my needs. Since I'm going to be rendering all 3 of my models together, I had best start now, so as to get into the groove of what it'll be like to compose each render, etc.

Composition Render 1
I actually really really like this first render of the three. Expanding on my lighting techniques from one of my previous posts, I laid out my models in a very linear fashion. Nigh on no colour, just the simple standard material, but it looks really good! My tutor suggested that I try a wider, more elongated canvas, so that I could catch all the shadows, a crucial part of my concept.

Composition Render 2

For this render, I turned back to my dear friend; Caustics. The thing I'm really pleased worked well was the white saw-blade style star at the base of the model. This point of intense brightness draws the eyes of the user in, and the dappled light all over the stages looks really neat. Possibly may need to tone down the caustics a little, as it can be a bit distracting.

Composition Render 3
Here I manipulated size of the main model a bit, so as to play with the concept of hierarchy. Another thing I did was move the camera very far away and then zoom in. This gives the sense of depth and dimensions a totally different feel to it. The smaller models look like they are leaning away from the main model, giving it and its shadow shape in a sense.

Composition Render 4

I altered the size of the outer two models for this render, testing to see if I could get them closer to the main models, while at the same time not interfering with the shadows of that model. The result is really nice, although I think I need to make the outer models a bit smaller. They feel as if they are taking up a bit too much space and  interfering with the feel of the shadows.

Lots to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment