Wednesday, October 10, 2012

DSDN 104: Material Experiments

Since last time I tried out a variety of lighting positions, in this post, I'll be looking at what sort of materials might be nice to render with. I actually don't like using images and then applying a UWV map. I really liek the materials that pre-exist in 3dsMax' material library. The settings on those are already pre-defined, so it takes minimal toying around to get an ideal result.

For this render set, I kept the overall composition similar, only changing the material for one model, keeping the other two in the same material, so as to have a point of reference.

Applying a chrome material to the cube clearly shows how it would reflect the other two models next to it. However, I'm not going to be able to plate my final model in chrome in real life, so this might not be the most ideal material to explore in renders.

For this render, I made the main model out of stone, so that gives a totally different look for the model. Shadows on the model look very different, and there is only a small amount of colour splash on the ground near the model. Interesting.

Since I love glass, I just had to have a render in glass on here. This glass is menat to be a bronze-y colour, and is suuuuuper reflective. I've managed to get my hands on an actual 3-D printed model from that printer, and it seems that the way things come out of that printer is more of a frosted glass look, so I think that's probably something I should explore.

For this render, I went and tried out the material oil, which yielded very interesting results. The oil has that slick look that is almost common with some other forms of resin, so it's starting to look more and more like something that I'd be able to pick up from the 3-D printer.

No comments:

Post a Comment