Saturday, September 15, 2012

DSDN 104: Bolt Disaster!

I've run into a slight problem with my bolts. When I made my calculations, I planned for the holes in the pieces to be 5.6mm wide, so that the laser would burn away 0.4mm of the material. (0.2mm on either side of the line)

As it turns out, the lasers kerf is actually 0.2mm spread across the line, so it's actually only 0.1mm on either side.

What this means for me is that my bolts don't fit and are 0.2mm too wide. From here I have two options. I can either sand all 100 of the holes in my pieces, or I can file down the bolts by 0.2mm in diameter.

I chose the latter option, and it yielded results, after two hours of continuous filing and sanding. My arms were burning, but it had worked.

Now the bolts are a very snug fit! It's perfect. You won't even see all the filing on the bolts once they are buried into the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment