Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DSDN 104: Sketch Model Number 3!

Moving on to a much more voluminous model, I decided to create an extrusion on a block of foam board, to show the model coming out of the block, and forming this idea of sinuous fluid motion.

One of the things that I wanted to capture as well was this idea of transition from negative to positive space, which would be done by making the block out of acrylic in the final model. Sadly I didn't have acrylic on hand, so you'll just have to use your imagination for that bit!

This striking idea of a card extrusion coming from a block made form an entirely different material really appealed to me. The stack method grants the model a certain power and I find also gives it this concept of structural rigidity. It makes me think of the pancake rocks whenever I see it done well.


Somehow I find this power inherent in this model rather alluring. The idea of being able to hold something that feels really chunky in your hand really appeals to me. I want it to clash with the sinuous fluidity of the form itself. This idea of juxtaposition with the material feels like it is escaping or growing, but also maybe trapped in the moment.


The relatively fluid form is escaping the block of oppression, and its sinuous motion is allowing it to evade capture again. The block could possibly be made out of acrylic, to allow vision into the negative space.


 I want the materials to feel constraining, showing this almost ice-like feel as the material is thawing its way out of the prison. The motion of the model can't be captured, it can only be held for an instant before it continues on its path of fluidity.


No comments:

Post a Comment